Sunday, August 28, 2016

The happiest place on earth: Iceland.

I can't remember when it was that I first started obsessing about Iceland. After learning about the Northern Lights in high school, I know that I always wanted to see them. And maybe later in college, I started seeing amazing landscapes pop up on some photography blogs, and Iceland with its thousands of waterfalls and endless varieties of landscapes drew me in. This summer, at the risk of sounding dramatic, my dreams came true. I spent a glorious, wondrous week in Iceland that was way too short. I'm going to make a series of posts, one for each day we spent in this beautiful, breathtaking country.

Loose associations:
Iceland is more beautiful in person than any photograph can convey. The fresh, crisp air, the endless, winding roads, and the untouched, raw beauty of the land. The hospitality of the people. The constantly changing landscapes from irregular, moss covered rocks like the surface of the moon, to bleak and barren black sand reminiscent of Mordor, to gently rolling hillsides with rivers winding their way to the sea. Off-white sheep dotting the craggy cliffs. Icelandic horses with their wild manes and gentle eyes. Waterfalls everywhere, surrounded by people, isolated from any living thing, small and big, roaring and trickling, an inconsistent constant of the land, always so beautiful, each one unique.

On the flight to Iceland, we had some foreshadowing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment